Saturday, October 8, 2011

Michael Wamego and His Beautiful Native American Flutes

Native American Flute Creator, Michael Wamego
Photo by Teri Lee Niedrich Pure Vision Studios
Meeting amazing artists is definitely one of the best things about doing a show.  This year at the Thousand Springs Festival, I networked with other photographers, heard the scoop about other shows that are doing well and met ridiculously talented people.  I always collect a few cards and try to pass along the word to people I think would be interested in their work. I am often honored to be in a show with such talented artists.
Sometimes things get a little magical with these connections and that makes the event  unforgettable! About a month before the show, I mentioned to my husband that I wanted to get a flute. The Native American Flute has the most soulful sound of all of the wind instruments.  I wanted one in a bad way but this was a very busy summer and I had not really pursued it.

As we were setting up our booth on Saturday morning, I heard the sound of a flute. Wild. There was actually a booth with Native American Flutes!  Well the morning was busy but Marsha, Michael's wife, came into our booth and started up a very interesting conversation about mules.  People talk to me about mules because of the Wagon Days photos I have and I love mules so it is often a popular topic in our booth.  Marsha is a really "bright" spirit.  Most people glow, some people sparkle.  I was delighted to find out that she was Michael's wife and I got a chance for a little break later and went straight to their booth.  Wow.

Michael Wamego is a Vietnam War Veteran and a member of the Pawnee Nation of Oklahoma.  After he returned from his service, he began to create beautiful Native American Flutes as did his Grandfather before him.  Michael proceeded to tell me fascinating stories of his mystical journey creating these amazing flutes.  He carefully selects the wood and the wood speaks to him.  Sometimes the wood will not be made into a flute until the time is right.  He has story after story of how these flutes find their way to the one person who was meant to own them.  Michael exhibits his spirit given talent in his booth where he carves a flute on the spot.  You can read more about Michael and his flutes on his website, The Shaman's Dream.


Michael has a real appreciation for his flutes...they are his babies.  I feel the same way about my photography.  It is always so exciting to see them find their home ...and sometimes I get very attached to certain pieces.  One canvas print had been with me for a long time and I had it in my home when we were not showing..  The photograph WAS called "Navajo Pony"...now I have renamed it "Navajo Medicine Pony".  The photo moves many people and honestly...it does have some kind of magic...ju ju whatever you want to call it.. about it.  I will tell the tale in my next posting....  


I had my eye on one of Michael's beautiful flutes.  I played it and it spoke to me.  Michael came into my booth and took one look at the Navajo pony and said it was a "medicine" pony.  He wanted that canvas and we made a very very good trade.  Now I play my beautiful flute once a day and when I miss the pony..I know it has a very powerful home. The universe unfolds as it should.


Michael Wamego and his wonderful wife, Marsha will be exhibiting TODAY at the Trailing of the Sheep Folklife Fair, Roberta McKercher in Haiiley, ID.  If you are anywhere in the vicinity of this Fair...don't miss it.  Check out their website.  Don't get me stahted talkin about the Trailing of the Sheep Festival that is another post!

As I close this posting I am on my way to photograph this happy community event. I love taking photos of people being the way they were created to be, happy.  I am looking forward to seeing my new friends, Michael and Marsha.  Life is good.